Friday, October 16, 2009

Why...

All I want to ask when it comes to looking for a job is why is it so hard to find an entry-level position job? I recently sent my resume and cover letter to a baseball team who was looking for a someone in public relations. It was first posted as an entry level position with most of the qualifications being recommended, but not required. Of course, I thought that this job looked too good to be true, but I applied anways because I need to start somewhere. Literally the next day after I applied for the job they took the posting offline and changed every requirement they had originally posted. The one qualification that really irked me though was that they were now requiring 5+ years of experience. What I would like to know is where are we supposed to be getting this experience from? Everybody is requiring experience, but nobody is offering it. An internship helps with maybe one year of experience, but after graduation you are still looking for an entry-level position unless your internship offers you a full-time job.

Don't get me wrong, it's obviously not impossible to find a job and there are some companies that are willing to give you that experience you are looking for. Since I am looking to get into sports PR, my example is of the Atlanta Braves trainee programs. They have a trainee program for just about every position available, and the one stipulation is that you must have a 3.0 GPA. So, yes, there are some companies nice enough to give us a shot, but I hate getting excited about a possible job only to find out that you need 5 or more years of experience just to be considered.

No comments:

Post a Comment